Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)6516 4683
An Assistant Professor since 2010 at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineeering, I conduct research in the area of structural health monitoring, in particular damage detection in engineering structures using optical fibre sensors. My interest also include development of low-cost, ease-to-use sensor technologies and methods for application in the industry. I have commercialised an optical fibre sensor educational kit which is presently used in a number of schools in Singapore and holds a patent on an extrinsic plastic optical fibre sensor and filed another patent under PTC for damage or deformation detection based on chemiluminescence. I have been invited to speak at various conferences and venues such as the 20th International Plastic Optical Fibre Conference 2011 in Bilboa (Spain), JEC Innovative Composites Summit 2011 (Singapore), Institute of Engineers Singapore, Science at the Cafe @ Singapore Science Centre 2007, Housing Development Board SHM 2014. He has published over 40 articles and a book chapter with h-index of 12 (Scopus). His Google Scholar and Researchgate pages can be found here: https://scholar.google.com.sg/citations?user=oqThAEUAAAAJ&hl=en and www.researchgate.net/profile/K_Kuang
Dr Kuang has taught and tutored courses including Engineering Mathematics, Statics and Mechanics, Geographical Information System and Engineering Professionalism and Structural Analysis. He is currently teaching CE2407 Engineering and Uncertainty Analysis.
In addition to teaching Civil Engineering courses, he is heavily involved in the Design-Centric Programme (DCP) under EDIC, supervising many design projects including Cambodia Social Innovation Projects and other Civil Engineering Final Year Projects. Examples of completed projects can be found in his personal website www.ksckuang.wix.com/ksckuang. One of the students he supervised won the High Achievement Award (highest award) under Individual Category for the FoE 29th Innovation and Research Award AY2014/2015 (Faculty of Engineering-level award) and NUS Outstanding Undergraduate Research (OUR) Prize AY2014/2015 (University-level award).
He is also Chairman of the NUS International Design Summer Programme which started in 2012. Details of this international undergraduate programme can be found in his personal website www.ksckuang.wix.com/ksckuang. He also has a profile at LinkedIn: http://sg.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-kuang/34/b9b/688
- BEng (Mechanical) (1st Hons) 1995 University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- PhD (Materials Science and Engineering) 2002 University of Liverpool, United Kingdom
- MBA (Total Quality Management) 2003 University of Leicester, United Kingdom
- Singapore Millennium Foundation postdoctoral research fellowship (2003)
- University of Liverpool Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (2002)
- Overseas Research Scheme Scholarship (Universities-UK) (1998-2001) - PhD scholarship
- University of Liverpool International Postgraduate (PhD) Scholarship (1998-2001)
- European Union Joint Research Centre (Eu-JRC) Studentship (1999/2000)
- Third prize in the National Lecture Competition in London, UK (The Institute of Materials (UK) (2001)
- Represented the University of Liverpool in the British Young Engineers Reception (2001) at the House of Commons, London, UK
- University of Leeds, Tetley and Lupton International Undergraduate Scholarship (1993-1995)
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE UK) Project Prize (1995)
- MECOMB Precision Engineering Best All Round Top Performance Award (Singapore Polytechnic) (1991/92)
- Innovative Teaching Award (Gold) AY2012/2013
- Faculty of Engineering Honours List AY2011/2012
- Faculty of Engineering Nominee for Annual Teaching Excellence Award (ATEA) AY2011/2012
- Faculty of Engineering Commendation List AY2012/2013
- Invited paper on Plastic Optical Fiber Sensor for Structural Health Monitoring at 20th International Plastic Optical Fibre Conference 2011 in Bilboa (Spain)
- Represented NUS and Zugo Photonics for ' A Special Afternoon Talk-Workshop' entitled 'Guiding Light to Sensing Right: An Optical Fibre Story' at the SINGAPORE SCIENCE CENTRE on the 23 March 2007. http://www.ies.org.sg/e-newsletter/Photonics.pdf
- Exhibited work on wireless monitoring with plastic optical fibre sensors at the NUS Technology Showcase 2006
- Invited to speak to SPRING SPORE Metrology Conference 2006 on the use of optical fibre sensors.
- Invited speaker for Department of Civil Engineering Afternoon Public Seminar entitled: Optical Fibre Nerves: Lighting the Path to Safer Structures (23rd September 2005)
- Invited speaker for Institute of Engineers Singapore/Inst. of Struct E (S) seminar (75 participants) entitle of Optical Fibre Sensors for Structural Health Monitoring (18th August 2005)
- Best speaker in IOM3 National Lecture Competition at the North-West region of UK. Represented North-West England in the National Lecture Competition in London, UK (Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining [IOM3], United Kingdom) (2001) and came in 3rd place. Full article of competition featured in Materials World June 2001 magazine.
- Editorial Board Member Smart Materials Research
- Regular Reviewer for:
- Sensors and Actuators A: Physical
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Composite Science and Technology
- Engineering Structures
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Journal of Materials Science
- Structural Stability and Dynamics
- Optics and Lasers in Engineering
- Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing
- Journal of Sensors
- Kuang, KSC, "Distributed damage detection of offshore steel structures using plastic optical fiber sensors". Sensors and Actuators A-Physical, 229 (2015): 59-67. (Switzerland).
- Kuang, KSC, S T Quek and W J Cantwell, "Active Control of a Smart Composite with Shape Memory Alloy sheet using Plastic Optical fiber Sensor". Sensors and Actuators A-Physical, 201 (2013): 182-187. (Switzerland).
- Ge Y, KSC Kuang and S T Quek, "Development of a low-cost bi-axial intensity-based optical fibre accelerometer for wind turbine blades". Sensors and Actuators A-Physical, 197 (2013): 126-135. (Switzerland).
- Kuang, KSC, C Y Tan, S H Chew and S T Quek, "Monitoring of large strains in submerged geotextile tubes using plastic optical fibre sensors". Sensors and Actuators A-Physical, 167 (2011): 338-346. (Switzerland).
- Kuang K.S.C., Quek S.T., Koh C.G., Cantwell W.J., Scully P.J. Plastic optical fibre sensors for structural health monitoring: A review of recent progress (2009) Journal of Sensors, Special Issue: Fiber and Integrated Waveguide-Based Optical Sensors, Journal of Sensors, Volume 2009, no. Article ID 312053
- Akbarnezhad, A, KSC Kuang and K C G Ong, "Temperature Sensing in Microwave Heating of Concrete using Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors". Magazine of Concrete Research, 63, no. 4(2011): 275-285. (United Kingdom).
- Kuang, KSC, S T Quek and M Maalej, "Remote flood monitoring system based on plastic optical fibres and". Sensors and Actuators A-Physical, 147 (2008): 449-455. (Switzerland)