Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)651 61315
Dr. Lau Hon Chung is currently a professor at the Department of Civil and Environment Engineering at NUS. He has more than 35 years of experience in the upstream petroleum industry. After completing his PhD at Princeton University, Dr. Lau joined Shell Oil Company in Houston, Texas. Since then he has held positions of increasing responsibility in research and development, operations, project delivery, technical assurance, training, recruitment, technical leadership and project management. He has worked in USA, the Netherlands, Brunei and China on various onshore, shallow water and deepwater oil and gas projects. Within Shell, Dr. Lau was recognized as a subject matter expert in chemical enhanced oil recovery (EOR), smart wells and sand control. He was the pioneer of Shell’s horizontal openhole gravel packing process, a well completion technology used by Shell worldwide. He is the inventor of over twenty US, Canadian and European patents, covering a wide range of topics, including new ways to accommodate more wells in offshore platforms, new gravel packing processes, new surfactants for EOR, foam for mobility control, residual oil saturation reduction and new drilling mud formulations. He has authored technical papers in various aspects of EOR, sand control, smart wells, history matching, reservoir characterization and unconventional resources. Dr. Lau has held positions as Chief Production Technologist and Chemist of North America for Shell International, adjunct professor at University of Texas at Austin, honorary professor at China University of Petroleum Beijing, Career Coach at Tsinghua University and Technical Editor of Society of Petroleum Engineer journals. He is a licensed professional petroleum engineer in the State of Texas.
- Manager, Arrow Beijing Study Centre, Research Institute of Petroleum Exploration and Development, PetroChina, Beijing, China (2012-2016)
- Production Technology Advisor, Shell (China) Projects and Technology, Beijing China, (2012-2016)
- Discipline Lead of Production Technology and Chemistry, Shell International E&P Inc., Houston (2006-2012)
- Team Leader of Integrated Reservoir Modeling, Shell International E&P Inc., Houston (2002-2006)
- Senior Staff Production Technologist, Shell Deepwater Services, Houston (2001-2002)
- Staff Production Technologist, Brunei Shell Petroleum, Brunei Darussalam 1997-2001)
- Staff Research Production Engineer, Shell E&P Technology and Research, Houston (1990-1997)
- Exchange Scientist, Royal Dutch Shell E&P Laboratory, Rijswijk, The Netherlands (1989-1990)
- Research Reservoir Engineer, Shell Development Company, Houston (1981-1990)
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, Princeton University (1982)
- M.A., Chemical Engineering, Princeton University (1979)
- B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology (1977)
- Registered Professional Petroleum Engineer, State of Texas (1988)
- Adjunct Professor, Geosystems and Petroleum Engineering Department, University of Texas at Austin (2009-)
- Honorary Professor, China University of Petroleum Beijing (2012)
- Life Membership, Society of Petroleum Engineer
- Human Resource Integrated Recognition for Assessment and Talent Development, Shell China (2014)
- Outstanding Manager, PetroChina Research Institute of Petroleum Exploration and Development (2013)
- Outstanding Mentor, New Technical Professional Network, Shell International E&P Inc., Houston (2007)
- Subject Matter Expert in chemical EOR, sand control and smart wells, Shell International
- Certified Assessor for Graduates and Experienced Hires, Shell International
- Career Coach, Tsinghua University (2012-2015)
- Organizer, Shell Lecture Series in Peking University, Peking University (2014)
- Director, Society of Petroleum Engineer Northern China International Section (2013-2015)
- Executive Committee, Chinese American Petroleum Association (2009-2012)
- Technical Editor, Society of Petroleum Engineer Production Operations Journal, 2007-present
- Technical Editor, Society of Petroleum Engineer Drilling & Completion Journal, 1992-1997
- Production Engineering
- Smart Wells
- Sand Control
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Unconventional Reservoirs
- Coalbed Methane
- Production Technology Aspects of Tight Reservoirs
- Nanotechnology for Oilfield Applications
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Sand Control
- Smart Wells
- Lau, H. C., Yu, M. and Nguyen, Q. P.: “Nanotechnology for Oilfield Applications: Challenges and Impact,” paper SPE 183301, presented at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 7-10 November 2016.
- Zhang, M., Ren, B., Cui, Z., Yang, Yong., Cao, S., Xia, Z., Gong, X., Gan, T. and Lau, H. C.: “Detailed Characterization of a Multilayered Coalbed Methane Field Using High Sequence Stratigraphy: Examples from the Surat Basin in Australia,” paper SPE 180253, presented at the SPE Low Permeability Symposium, Denver, Colorado, 5-6 May 2016.
- Ren, B., Zhang, M. Cui, Z., Xia, Z., and Lau, H. C.: “Density Log Normalization Workflow for Coalbed Methane Wells in the Surat Basin of Australia,” SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering J., p 205-213, May 2016.
- Zhang, M. Yang, Xia, Z., Cui, Z., Ren, B., Zhang, W., Jeffries, M. and Lau, H. C.: “A Best Practice in Static Modeling of a Coalbed Methane Field: An Example from the Bowen Basin in Australia,” SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering J., p. 149-157, May 2015.
- Zhu, Z., Xie, Q., Xu, H., Fan, J., Wang, F., Austine J., Vermolen, E. C. M., Wei, L., Lau, H. C., Song S., He, D.: “Evaluation of the Potential of High-Temperature, Low-Salinity Polymer Flood for the Gao-30 Reservoir in the Huabei Oilfield, China: Experimental and Reservoir Simulation Studies,” paper OTC 25817, presented at the Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, 4-7 May 2015.
- Zhao, C., Xia, Z., Zheng, K., Duan, L., Liu, L., Zhang, M., Yang, Y., Lau, H. C. and Sharma, V.: “Integrated Assessment of Pilot Performance of Surface to In Seam Wells to De-risk and Quantify Subsurface Uncertainty for a Coalbed Methane Project: An Example from the Bowen Basin in Australia,” paper SPE 267766, presented at the SPE/EAGE European Unconventional Conference and Exhibition, Vienna, Austria, 25-27 February, 2014.
- Lau, H. C. and Yu, M.: “Production Technology Challenges of Tight and Shale Gas Production in China,” IPTC-17096, presented at the International Petroleum Technology Conference, Beijing, China, 26-28 March, 2013.
- Lau, H.C.: “Alkaline Steam Foam: Concepts and Experimental Results,” SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering J., p. 445-452, August 2012.
- Lau, H. C.: “Good Practices in Progressing a Smart Well Portfolio,” paper IPTC 12255, presented at the International Petroleum Technology Conference, Dec 2-5, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2008.
Chapter in Book
- Stephens, M. and Lau, H. C.: “Completion Fluids,” Chapter 12 in Petroleum Well Construction, Economides, M. J., Watters, L. T., and Dunn-Norman S. (Ed.), John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
- Lau, H. C., “Downhole Multiple Wells,” U.S. Patent No. 8,857,523 (Oct 14, 2014).
- Lau, H.C. et al., “Surface Close Proximity Wells,” US Patent Application 20130319681 A1 (Dec 5, 2013),
- Lau, H. C., “Surface Multiple Well,” US Patent Application 20130213663 A1 (Aug 22, 2013)
- Lau, H. C., Hale, A. H. and Bernardi, L. A., “Drilling Fluid: Zinc Oxide and Zirconium Oxide as Weighting Materials for Water and Oil Based Drilling Fluids for Horizontal Wells,” US Statutory Invention Registration H1685 (Oct. 7, 1997).
- Borchardt, J. K., Lau, H. C. and Ledet, E. J., “Verfahren zur Olgewinnung,” German Patent DE 3828736 C2 (20 April, 1997)
- Lau, H.C. and Bernardi, L. A., “Gravel Packing Process,” U.S. Patent No. 5,460,225 (Oct. 24, 1995)
- Lau, H. C., “A Method of Improving Oil Production,” German Patent DE 3616582 C2, (Feb 16, 1995).
- Bernardi, L. A., Lau, H. C., and Cole, D. A., “Method to Prepare Polymer Solutions for Downhole Applications,” U.S. Patent No. 5,392,855 (Feb 28, 1995).
- Lau, H. C.: “Fluid Loss Control Composition,” U.S. Patent No. 5,354,786 (Oct. 11, 1994).
- Lau, H. C. and Bernardi, L. A.: “Low-Viscosity Gravel Packing Process,” U.S. Patent No. 5,251,699 (Oct. 12, 1993).
- Lau, H. C., Borchardt, J. K., Ledet, E. J., “Process for Recovering Oil,” Canadian Patent CA1316681 C, (Apr. 27, 1993).
- Lau, H. C.: “Gravel Packing Process,” U.S. Patent No. 5,184,679 (Feb. 9, 1993).
- Lau, H. C.: “Well Completion Method and Fluid Loss Control Composition,” U.S. Patent No. 5,158,139 (Oct. 27, 1992).
- Lau, H. C. and Borchardt, J. K.: “Gas Flooding Surfactants Enriched in Olefin Disulfonate,” U.S. Patent No. 5,069,802 (Dec. 3, 1991).
- Borchardt, J. K., Lau, H. C., and Ledet, E. J.: “Steam Foam Surfactants Enriched in Alpha Olefin Disulfonates for Enhanced Oil Recovery,” U.S. Patent No. 5,031,698 (July 16, 1991).
- Lau, H. C. and Borchardt, J. K.: “Gas Flooding with Surfactants Enriched in Olefin disulfonate,” U.S. Patent No. 4,911,238 (March 1990).
- Borchardt, J. K., Lau, H. C., and Ledet, E. J.: “Steam Foam Surfactants Enriched in Alpha Olefin Disulfonates for Enhanced Oil Recovery,” U.S. Patent No. 4,957,646 (Sept. 18, 1990).
- Lau, H. C.: “Alkali-Enhanced Steam Foam Oil Recovery Process,” Canadian Patent No. 1,259,476 (Sept. 19, 1989).
- Lau, H. C.: “Trona-Enhanced Steam Foam Oil Recovery Process,” U.S. Patent No. 4,727,938 (March 1, 1988).
- Lau, H. C.: “Alkali-Enhanced Steam Foam Oil Recovery Process,” U.S. Patent No. 4,609,044 (Sept. 2, 1986).
- Lau, H. C.: “Dual Gradient Steam Foam Oil Displacement Process,” U.S. Patent No. 4,617,995 (Oct 1, 1986).
- Lau, H. C. and O'Brien, S. M.: “Foam Drive Oil Displacement with Outflow Pressure Cycling,” U.S. Patent No. 4,601,337 (Jul. 22, 1986).
- Dilgren, R. E., Lau, H. C., and Hirasaki, G. J.: “Reservoir Preflushing Process for Increasing the Rate of Surfactant Transport in Displacing Oil with Injected Steam and Steam Foaming Surfactant,” U.S. Patent No. 4,597,442 (July 1, 1986).