Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)6516 2278
Dr Tan Siew Ann (Harry) is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. His research work is mainly in Geotechnical Engineering. He is a registered Professional Engineer in Singapore; and has a PE and AC status in Geotechnical Engineering.
|Assoc Professor||Dept of Civil Engineering||01.08.1998 - 26.09.2010|
|Senior Lecturer||Dept of Civil Engineering||01.01.1989 - 31.07.1998|
|Lecturer (Scale A)||Dept of Civil Engineering||01.04.1985 - 31.12.1988|
|Senior Tutor||Dept of Civil Engineering||27.05.1980 - 31.03.1985|
- Over 100 projects in Singapore and in the region.
- Served as Chairman of "State Expert Witness Team" for COI on Nicoll Highway Tunnel Collapse in 2004-2005
- PEng, Civil Engineering, Professional Engineers Board, Singapore, (since 1994)
- Specialist PE and AC Geotechnical Engineering, PEB, Singapore , (since 2008)
- PhD, Civil, University of California, Berkeley (USA), (1985)
- MSc, Civil, University of California, Berkeley (USA), (1982)
- MEng, Civil, National University of Singapore, (1982)
- BEng, 1st Hons, Civil, Auckland University, (New Zealand), (1976)
- AY2009/2010 Teaching Commendation
- AY2007/2008 Teaching Commendation
- AY2005/2006 Teaching Commendation
- AY2003/2004 Annual Teaching Excellence Award
- AY2003/2004 Excellent Teacher Award
- AY2003/2004 Engineering Educator Award
- AY2002/2003 Teaching Commendation
- AY2001/2002 Teaching Commendation
- AY2000/2001 Teaching Commendation
- AY1998/1999 Teaching Commendation
- US Patent 6,367,310 B1, "Drainage testing of porous asphalt road mixes", Date:9 April 2002 [ SA Tan, TF Fwa, CT Chuai]
- Singapore Patent P-No.67286, "Drainage test apparatus for porous (or drainage) road mixes", Date: 16 Jan 2001 [ SA Tan, TF Fwa, CT Chuai]
- Singapore Patent PCT/SG99/00022, "Drainage testing of porous asphalt road mixes", Date: 21 Oct 1999 [ SA Tan, TF Fwa, CT Chuai]
- IES Engineering Achievement Award 2000 for innovation and applications of nondestructive drainage evaluation for expressways, 29 October 2000 [TF Fwa & SA Tan]
- Member of ASCE, Member of IES, International Advisory Panel for Plaxis BV
- Committee member of A2K06 of TRB (US Transportation Research Board, committee on Sub-drainage for Highways and Airport Pavements) [Feb 2003 to present]
- Core-committee member of TC-9 of the ISSMGE, on Earth Reinforcement [Sep 2002 to 2006]
- Scientific network committee for development and use of Plaxis BV, in cooperation with TU Delft, Netherlands [Oct 2002 to present]
- Geotextiles and Geomembranes, an official journal of the International Geosynthetics Society, published by Elsevier Science, UK [Jan 1997 to present]
- Geotechnical Engineering, published by the Southeast Asian Geotechnical Society [1999 to present]
- Earth Retaining Structures
- Numerical Analysis in Geotechnical Engineering
- Slope Engineering
- Site Investigation and Monitoring
- Groundwater Seepage and Consolidation
- Numerical Methods and Applications to Geotechnical Problems
- Deep Excavations
- Pile Foundations
- Ground Improvement
Principal publications of the last five years
- Tan, S A, "One North Station Excavation in 30m of Jurong Residual Soils". ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, 208 (2010): 732 to 739. (United States). (Theme Lecture for ER2010 on Case History Session).
- FELLENIUS*, BENGT and S A Tan, "COMBINATION OF O CELL AND HEAD DOWN PILE LOAD TEST". ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, (2009). (United States). (ASCE/GI Geotechnical Special Publication (GSP) titled: The Art of Foundation Engineering Practice honoring Clyde Baker).
- Tan*, S A, P H OOI, TAE SOON PARK and W L CHEANG, "RAPID PULLOUT TEST OF SOIL NAIL". JOURNAL OF GEOTECHNICAL AND GEOENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING, 134, no. 9 (September 2008 2009): 1327 1338. (United States). (Paper describes a novel method of dynamic rapid pullout tests for soil nails).
- Tan*, S A, S Tjahyono and K.K Oo, "Simplified Plane Strain Modeling of Stone Column Reinforced Ground". JOURNAL OF GEOTECHNICAL AND GEOENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING, 134, no. 2 (2008): 185 195. (United States).
- Leung*, C F and S A Tan, "Successes and Failures of Instrumentation Programs in Major Construction Projects in Singapore". ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, 175 (2007).