Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)660 11568
With a career spanning 30 years, Dr. Sau-Wai Wong began with D'Appolonia Engineers in Italy as a Geotechnical Engineer. In 1989, he joined Shell Research in the Netherlands, following which he took up multiple international assignments for Shell International Exploration & Production in the Sultanate of Oman, the Netherlands, Malaysia and USA. In USA, he was the Subsurface Technology Manager for Unconventional Oil. Subsequently, he was the Research & Development Manager for Unconventional Gas Technology, and was also the Principal Technical Expert in Geomechanics for Shell’s worldwide operations, responsible for the network of Subject Matter Experts in all geomechanical related issues. He is the founder of rybkarock, a Houston-based production engineering and geomechanics consulting firm.
Dr. Wong holds an Honorary Professorship at the School of Earth Sciences, The University of Melbourne, Australia. He is an active member of SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers) and a member of the Technical Committee on Hydraulic Fracturing (TCHF) for American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA). He was SPE Distinguished Lecturer in 2009-2010 and delivered the lecture entitled "Geomechanics - A Missing Link in Reservoir Management?".
Dr. Wong graduated from The University of Manchester, UK, with a B.Sc. (Honours) in Civil Engineering and a Ph.D. in Engineering.
- Principal Technical Expert, Geomechanics, Shell International Exploration & Production Inc., Houston, USA (2010-2016)
- Senior Advisor, Unconventional Resources Technology, Shell International Exploration & Production Inc., Houston, USA (2013-2016)
- Manager, Unconventional Gas Technology, Shell International Exploration & Production Inc., Houston, USA (2010-2013)
- Regional Chief Petroleum Engineer, Shell International Upstream Asia, KL, Malaysia (2009-2010)
- Manager, Subsurface Technology, Shell Exploration & Production Co., Houston, USA (2006-2009)
- Senior Geomechanics Specialist, Shell Exploration & Production Co., Houston, USA (2003-2006)
- Well Stimulation Advisor, Shell International Exploration & Production, Rijswijk, The Netherlands (2000-2003)
- Senior Production Engineer, Petroleum Development Oman, Muscat, Oman (1997-2000)
- Production Technologist, Shell Malaysia Exploration & Production, Miri, Malaysia (1994-1997)
- Research Drilling Engineer, Shell Research, Rijswijk, the Netherlands (1989-1994)
- Geotechnical Engineer, D’Appolonia Consulting Engineers, Genoa, Italy (1988-1989)
- Research Associate, The University of Manchester, England (1987-1988)
- Strategic Research and Development Management, INSEAD Business School, France (2011)
- Shell Group Business Leadership Program, INSEAD Business School, Singapore (2009)
- Ph.D. in Engineering, The University of Manchester, England (1987)
- B.Sc. (Honours) in Civil Engineering, The University of Manchester, England (1984)
- Honorary Professor, School of Earth Sciences, The University of Melbourne, Australia
- Professional engineer and member of Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM)
- Distinguished Lecturer, Society of petroleum Engineers (2009-2010)
- SPE committee co-chair, International Petroleum Technology Conference, Bangkok, Thailand (2016)
- Co-Chair, SPE Workshop on Geomechanics, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2015)
- Technical Editor, Society of Petroleum Engineer Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering (2012-2014)
- Wellbore Geomechanics
- Reservoir Geomechanics
- Production Engineering
- Drilling Mechanics
- Hydraulic Fracturing
- Computational Geomechanics
- Fundamental Rock Mechanics
- Novel Wellbore and Reservoir Stimulation
- Fiber Optics Surveillance Technology in Petroleum Engineering
- Geilikman M.B., Wong S.W., and Karanikas J.M.: "Stress-Dependent Permeability of Two-Solid Constituent Model of Gas Shales", Journal of Energy Challenges and Mechanics, Vol 2, issue 1, 2015. http://www.nscj.co.uk/JECM/PDF/2-1-1-Geilikman.pdf
- Wong S.W., Geilikman M.B. and Xu G.: "The Geomechanical Interaction of Multiple Hydraulic Fractures in Horizontal Wells", Effective and Sustainable Hydraulic Fracturing, Dr. Rob Jeffrey (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-1137-5, InTech, DOI: 10.5772/56385 (2013). http://www.intechopen.com/books/effective-and-sustainable-hydraulic-fracturing/the-geomechanical-interaction-of-multiple-hydraulic-fractures-in-horizontal-wells
- Huang J., Griffiths D.V. and Wong S.W.: "Initiation Pressure, Location and Orientation of Hydraulic Fracture", International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences 49, pp 59-67, 2012.
- Huang J., Griffiths D.V. and Wong S.W.: "In-situ Stress Determination from Inversion of Hydraulic Fracturing Data", International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences 48, pp 476-481, 2011.
- Huang J., Griffiths D.V. and Wong S.W.: "Characterizing Natural-Fracture Permeability from Mud-Loss Data", SPE Journal, pp 111-114, March, 2011.
- Wong S.W., Van der Bas F., Zuiderwijk P., Birchak B., Han W., Yoo K. and Van Batenburg D.: "High Power/High Frequency Acoustic Stimulation - A Novel and Effective Wellbore Stimulation Technology", SPE Journal Production and Facilities (paper 84118), November, 2004.
- Wong S.W., Wee S.B., Chia R. and Chong A.: "Infill Development with Multilateral-Well Technology", SPE Journal of Petroleum Technology, pp713-715, July, 1997.
- Heidug W.K. and Wong S.W.: "Hydration Swelling of Water-Absorbing Rocks: A Constitutive Model", International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, vol. 20, pp403-430, May, 1996.
- Bol G., Wong S.W., Davidson C. and Woodland D.: "Borehole Stability in Shales", SPE Journal of Drilling and Completion (paper 24975), June, 1994.
- Wong S.W., Veeken C.A.M. and Kenter C.J.: "The Rock Mechanical Aspects of Drilling a North-Sea Horizontal Well", SPE Journal of Drilling and Completion (paper 23040), March, 1994.
- Smith I.M., Wong S.W., Gladwell I. and Gilvary B.: "PCG Methods in Transient Finite Element Analysis; Part 1: First Order Problems", International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 28, pp1557-1566, 1989.
- Wong S.W., Smith I.M. and Gladwell I.: "PCG Methods in Transient Finite Element Analysis; Part 2: Second Order Problems", International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 28, pp1567-1576, 1989.
- Gilvary B., Gladwell I., Smith I.M., and Wong S.W.: "A Consistent Mass Element-by-Element Algorithm for Linear Parabolic Systems", Communication in Applied Numerical Methods, Vol. 5, pp229-235, 1989.
- Wong S.W., Smith I.M. and McCauley A.: "Integrating Stiff Ordinary Differential and Differential Algebraic Finite Element Systems", The Numerical Algorithms Group Newsletter, Oxford, No. 2, 1989.
- Falser S., Mo W., Weng D., Fu H., Lu Y., Ding Y., Wong S.W.: "Reducing Breakdown Pressure and Fracture Tortuosity by In-plane Perforations and Cyclic Pressure Ramping", Paper ARMA 16-191, 50th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Houston, USA, June 2016.
- Geilikman M.B., Wong S.W., and Karanikas, J.M.: "Growth of Fractured Zone Around Hydraulic Fracture", SPE Paper 175921, SPE/CSUR Unconventional Resources Conference, Calgary, Canada, October., 2015.
- Geilikman M.B. and Wong, S.W.: "Hydraulic Fractures Interference in Horizontal Wells: Compact and Diffuse Patterns of Fracture Growth", SPE Paper 167161, SPE Unconventional Resources Conference, Calgary, Canada, Nov., 2013.
- Geilikman M.B., Karanikas J.M. and Wong S.W.: "New Model of Permeability of Tight Shale Gas Rock Based on Open-System Geomechanics", Proceedings of the 5th Biot Conference on Poromechanics, pp2461-2470, Vienna, Austria, July 2013.
- Geilikman M.B., Karanikas J.M. and Wong S.W.: "Permeability Model of Shale Gas Rock With Variable Solid Mass", Paper ARMA 13-349, 47th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, San Francisco, USA, June 2013.
- Wong S.W., Geilikman M.B. and Xu G.: "The Geomechanical Interaction of Multiple Hydraulic Fractures in Horizontal Wells". Paper presented at the International Conference for Effective and Sustainable Hydraulic Fracturing, Brisbane, Australia. May, 2013.
- Xu G. and Wong S.W.: "Interaction of Multiple Non-Planar Hydraulic Fractures in Horizontal Wells", Paper IPTC-17043, International Petroleum Technology Conference, Beijing, China, March, 2013.
- Wong S.W., Geilikman M.B. and Xu G.: "Interaction of Multiple Hydraulic Fractures in Horizontal Wells", SPE Paper 163982, Middle East Unconventional Gas Conference and Exhibition in Muscat, Oman, Jan., 2013.
- Geilikman M.B. and Wong S.W.: "A New Model of Sorption-Induced Strain and Permeability for Coal Bed Methane", AAPG 2012 International Conference and Exhibition, Singapore, Sept., 2012.
- Geilikman M.B. and Wong S.W.: "Open-System Geomechanics of Rocks with Variable Solid Mass", 46th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Chicago, USA, June 2012.
- Geilikman M.B. and Wong S.W.: "Terminal Failure of Plastic Zone around the Openings", 46th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Chicago, USA, June 2012.
- Norbeck J., Fonseca E., Griffiths D.V. and Wong S.W.: "Natural Fracture Identification and Characterization While Drilling Underbalanced", SPE Paper 154864, America Unconventional Resources Conference, Pittsburgh, June, 2012.
- Geilikman M.B. and Wong S.W.: "Production decline in Petroleum Reservoirs - influence of rock parameters", 12th International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, Goa, India, Oct, 2008.
- Tran D., Nghiem L., Buchanan L., Geilikman M., Leshchyshyn T., Hannan S. and Wong S.W.: "Modelling Thermal Geomechanical Effects on Simulation Porosity", ARMA Paper 08-87, 42nd US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 2nd US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, San Francisco, June, 2008.
- Geilikman M.B. and Wong S.W.: "Oil and gas reservoirs compaction-induced production decline - influence of rock parameters", 11th Congress of the International Society for Rock Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, July, 2007.
- Pao W., Wong S.W. and Lewis R.W.: "Finite Element Solution of Coupled Chemo-Poroelasticity", Paper 18, 15th Association for Computational Mechanics and Engineering Conference in Glasgow, April 2007.
- Al-Gadhib A.H., Pao W., Wong S.W. and Lewis, R.W.: "A Damage-Based Diffusivity Model for Moisture Transport in Cementitious Media", Paper 67, 15th Association for Computational Mechanics and Engineering Conference in Glasgow, April 2007.
- Ekbote S., Nair R., Mody F. and Wong S.W.: "Effects of Coupled Thermo-Chemo-Poromechanics on Stresses and Pore Pressures Around Boreholes", 3rd Biot Conference on Poromechanics, Oklahoma, May, 2005.
- Van der Bas F., Zuiderwijk, P., Wong S.W., Van Batenburg D., Birchak B. and Yoo K.: "Radial Near Wellbore Stimulation by Acoustic Waves", SPE Paper 86492, SPE Int. Symp. on Formation Damage Control, Lafayette, February, 2004.
- Groenenboom J., Wong S.W., Meling T., Zschuppe R., Davidson B.: "Pulsed Water Injection During Water Flooding", SPE paper 84856, SPE International IOR Conference in Asia Pacific, Kuala Lumpur, October, 2003.
- Wong S.W., Van der Bas F., Groenenboom J., Zuiderwijk P.: "Near Wellbore Stimulation by Acoustic Waves", SPE paper 82198, SPE European Formation Damage Conference, The Hague, May, 2003.
- Wong S.W. and Hii K.K.: "Maximising Production Using Hydraulic Fracturing Stimulation - Challenges and Achievements in Changbei Tight Gas Reservoir", SPE Paper 72165, SPE Asia Pacific IOR Conference, Kuala Lumpur, October, 2001.
- Wong S.W., O’Dell P.M., De Pater C.J. and Shaoul J.: "Fresh Water Injection Stimulation in a Deep Tight Oil Reservoir", SPE paper 62618, SPE/AAPG Western Regional Meeting, Long Beach, June, 2000.
- Wong S.W., Ford S. and Turner R.: "Massive Hydraulic Fracture Stimulation in the Deep, High Pressure Athel Formation", SPE paper 50614, SPE European Petroleum Conference (EUROPEC), The Hague, October, 1998.
- Wong S.W. and Heidug W.K.: "Borehole stability in shales: A Constitutive Model for the Mechanical and Chemical Effects of Drilling Fluid Invasion", SPE/ISRM paper 28059, Rock Mech. in Petroleum Eng. Conference, Delft, August, 1994.
- Wong S.W. and Willemse E.J.M.: "Fault Stability Consideration in Gas Injection Scheme for a Shallow and Partially Depleted Reservoir", SPE paper 38089, Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference, Kuala Lumpur, April, 1997.
- Wong S.W., Wee S.B., Chia R., Chong A and Ralphie B.: "The Use of Multi-lateral Well Technology in an Infill Development Project", SPE paper 38030, Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference, Kuala Lumpur, April, 1997.
- Wong S.W., Kenter C.J., Schokkenbroek H., van Regteren J. and De Bordes P.F.: "Optimising Shale Drilling in the Northern North Sea - Borehole Stability Considerations", SPE paper 26736, Offshore Europe Conference, Aberdeen, September, 1993.
- Hicks M.H. and Wong S.W.: "Static Liquefaction of Loose Slopes", Proceedings of the 6th International Conf. on Numerical Methods in Geomechanics, Innsbruck, 1361-1367, 1988.
- Smith I.M. and Wong S.W.: "Element-by-Element Methods in Geomechanics", Proceedings of the 2nd European Conf. on Numerical Methods in Geomechanics, Stuttgart, 1986.
- “Electrofracturing formations”, U.S. Provisional Application No. 61/617,221, filed March 29, 2012.
- “Vibrating system and method for use in sand control and formation stimulation in oil and gas recovery operations”, US 20110094732, April 2011.
- “Double barrier system for an in situ conversion process”, US 7527094, May 2009.
- “Systems, methods, and processes for use in treating subsurface formations”, WIPO Patent Application WO/2007/111642, 2007.
- "System and method for scale removal in oil and gas recovery operation", US 7213650, May 2007.
- “Method and apparatus for reducing a skin effect in a downhole environment”, US 20070256828, November 2007.
- "Method and apparatus for reducing a skin effect in a downhole environment" WO/2006/035197, PCT/GB2005/003579, 2006.
- "Inhibiting scale deposition in oilfield tubulars”, US20040195187 and EP1419111, August, 2004.